From BikeRumor.com by Jordan Villella
Want to live the #vanlife without actually buying a van? Or maybe you just want to have a pro cooking station at your next outdoor event? Whatever the reason, Yakima’s newest EXO accessory turned a lot of heads at the Sea Otter Classic. That standout piece at the Yakima booth was the new EXO Open Range Camp Kitchen — a full kitchen that works with the Yakima EXO modular hitch system.
Essentially a basecamp in a box, the new Open Range Camp Kitchen comes in two main options with many accessories available for purchase. The US-made toto-molded box is designed to be mounted to an EXO SwingBase or EXO TopShelf rack setup using the EXO cleat system. If you don’t have an EXO rack, you can also just store the box in your trunk or truck bed.
If you’re using the EXO TopShelf mount, the box will already be at the right height and you can just open the front of the sealed box, fold out the accessory side tables, and get to cooking.
If you’re using the lower SwingBase position (we believe this should allow you to use the TopShelf position for two bikes), you’ll need to remove the box from the rack and mount it to the accessory four-leg stand. This is also how you would use the system without an EXO rack.
The OpenRange Leg Kit is available separately for $199.99 and the telescoping legs adjust the height from 20-33″.
Yakima EXO Open Range Camp Kitchen models
The Yakima Open Range Camp Kitchen comes in a base model, including the OpenRange Camp box with a lantern hook and organizing shelf (pictured inside) for $750.
For those looking for the whole experience, the Yakima EXO Open Range Camp Kitchen is also available in a deluxe version. The deluxe version comes with a wood side table with cutting board, collapsible wash basin with drain hose, metal cook side table with flexible fuel hose, a hanging fuel canister pouch, and the CookOut 2-Burner stove.
The whole Open Range Camp Kitchen Deluxe experience comes in at $1,199 — excluding stemware, plates, and cutlery. If you don’t go for the Deluxe version, many of the accessories can still be purchased separately with the OpenRange Wood and Metal Side Tables and CookOut Camp stove going for $149 each.
Yakima EXO Open Range Camp Kitchen pricing
- Yakima Open Range Kitchen Base: $749
- Yakima Open Range Kitchen Deluxe: $1,199
- Bamboo table: $149
- Metal table: $149
- Double burner stove: $149
Yakima EXO Open Range Camp Kitchen details
- Connects to the EXO SwingBase or EXO TopShelf in seconds using the included EXO cleat system
- A durable roto-molded enclosure with a rubber door seal keeps your gear fully protected from weather, dust, and critters
- Fold-down front door allows easy access to your gear and can be used as a prep surface
- Internal shelf and integrated utensil drawer help to organize your cooking and camp gear
- 85 liters (90 quarts) of internal storage space
- Includes SKS locking latches to secure your gear
- Tool-free, locking SpeedKnobs attach and lock EXO OpenRange to EXO SwingBase or EXO TopShelf
- Includes a lantern hook, backboard organizer, and handheld bottle opener
- Full suite of accessories available to expand your EXO OpenRange
- EXO SwingBase and EXO TopShelf are recommended but not required for transport
- Made in the USA with a 2-year warranty
Yakima EXO Open Range Camp Kitchen availability
Though the actual release date is uncertain, Yakima assured us it would be available for your late spring camping and cookout adventures. One thing is for sure, after laying hands on the new Yakima Open Range Camp Kitchen were excited to put it through the family camping gauntlet and long mountain bike race trips — hopefully we can get one in for a full review.